Mission, Vision, and Values
A more equitable, engaged, and self-transforming university, community, and world.
The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement supports the mission of UM by transforming people, institutions, and communities through partnership, access, and engagement that fosters belonging, enriches learning and development, enhances research, and creates equitable opportunities for all.
1. Mutual Respect: Each person is inherently valuable, and we hold other people’s dignity equal to our own while recognizing that their beliefs, ideas, and values will differ. Mutual respect is the basis for authenticity, trust, and honest communication when we agree and disagree.
2. Equity: We are committed to identifying and removing barriers, improving fairness in systems and outcomes, and creating a more inclusive understanding of how opportunities for success and achievement can be made available to all people.
3. Access and Opportunity: We have a responsibility to ensure that all people have the awareness, opportunity, and support to benefit from the transformative power of a college education.
4. Learning and Development: We acknowledge that we will always have new things to learn, skills to develop, and that learning and development challenge us personally and professionally.
5. Collaboration: We believe that the most pressing social, civic, economic, and moral problems are best solved through interdisciplinary collaborative partnerships within and beyond the academy.
6. Responsibility: We must be accountable to ourselves and other members of the community.
7. Civic Leadership: We recognize the wellbeing of each member of our community is interconnected, and we dedicate ourselves to making our community better for all.
Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
The University of Mississippi embraces its public flagship mission of inspiring and educating our diverse and vibrant community where all individuals are able to intellectually, socially, and culturally thrive through transformative experiences on our campus and beyond. In fulfillment of this mission, we demonstrate the following commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion:
- Diversity is an affirmation of the intersecting individual, social and organizational identities that make our community vibrant and transformational. We commit to openly increasing, embracing and recognizing the full spectrum of diversity at all levels of our institution.
- Equity is directly addressing the social, institutional, organizational and systemic barriers that prevent members of marginalized groups from thriving in our community. We commit to be both proactive and responsive in mitigating barriers so that all members of our institution are able to reach their full potential.
- Inclusion is actively and intentionally creating a welcoming campus where all individuals feel they have a supportive and affirming space to learn, grow and engage. We commit to fostering a campus environment that fully supports, values and engages the intersectional identities of every member of our community.