Search Committee Policy
University of Mississippi Search Committee Policy
The Office of the Provost, in consultation with the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, Human Resources and Equal Opportunity and Regulatory Compliance, has made the following change to search committee practices. Below is the policy change.
Click here for the complete policy change document
This search committee policy reflects our continued commitment to equity and inclusion efforts. Having a diverse and trained search committee ensure that our hiring processes are inclusive and equitable. This policy does not, in any way, release hiring departments from their responsibility to build a diverse search committee.
Search Committee Composition:
The hiring manager or search committee chair should be able to articulate how the specific composition of the committee includes diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and expertise. There are several strategies that a hiring department or the search committee chair can employ to build a diverse search committee:
- Include individuals with technical knowledge and expertise to effectively evaluate candidates’ qualifications
- Include individuals from outside your department who have demonstrated a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Include individuals from underrepresented groups to represent a diverse cross section of the University community
- Include appropriate stakeholders [peers of the new hire, supervisors, collaborators, individuals with similar positions, etc.]
Search Committee Expectations:
- Must have a minimum of three members
- All members of the search committee will need to complete the Inclusive and Equitable Hiring Processes: Faculty and Staff Searches training offered by the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement before they can be assigned to serve on the committee. The training is valid for a period of three years.
- Department head/supervisor may serve on the search committee
Undergraduate and graduate students may serve on the search committee. Student members are exempt from the training requirement.
Search Committee Education and Resources
The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement will provide the following resources, tools, and educational opportunities to support individuals who are interested in serving on a search committee.
1. Inclusive and Equitable Hiring Processes: Faculty and Staff Searches Training
The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement offers this 2-hour training monthly. This training will focus on how to diversify applicant pools, eliminate biases and potential discrimination in the evaluation of qualifications, and identify missteps in the selection of potential candidates. Individuals can sign-up through myOleMiss.
my.olemiss.edu -> Employee -> Tools and Resources -> Training Workshops -> Inclusive and Equitable Hiring Processes: Faculty and Staff Searches
Please Note: Make sure all three fields in the filter are set to “All” for trainings to be displayed.
2. Training by Request
The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement also offers trainings by request. Our team is available to support the hiring department at any stage of the hiring process. We strongly encourage the hiring department to work with our team early in the hiring process.
The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement offers consultations. Consultations can be individual or group consultations. These consultations are designed to support with specific efforts related to creating inclusive and equitable programs, workplaces, and classrooms.
The Division of Diversity and Community Engagement will make several self-directed resources to support individuals engaged in the hiring process on our website.
In order to support current searches while implementing this policy change, individuals who haven’t completed the Inclusive and Equitable Hiring Processes: Faculty and Staff Searches training, will still be eligible to serve on a search committee if they are registered for an upcoming training. This provision will end in May 31, 2022.
For inquiries related to the policy change and implementation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For inquiries related to the Inclusive and Equitable Hiring Processes: Faculty and Staff Searches training, please email email@example.com.