This week, through our blog, we are highlighting local Census efforts. Have you completed your US Census yet?
Today, we are featuring Janice Carr, Executive Director of the Gordon Community and Cultural Center, GCCC, in Abbeville, MS. After hearing that response rates in Lafayette County were lagging behind other counties and the state average, Janice jumped into action. She recruited help from three of her students and did a drive-by campaign through local neighborhoods, passing out Census water bottles in front yards with reminders and info on the Census. Her team canvassed over 200 households.
As many of us find ourselves spending more time in our neighborhoods, it is a great opportunity to talk with our neighbors about the Census and remind them to take time to complete it. Spread the word within your community, and help us support our Lafayette-Oxford-University community with accurate counts and representation.
Learn more about Janice and her ongoing work with GCCC through our Community Chat interview with her here.
Did you know…
- U.S. Census data affects federal funding for our community for 10 years – funding for roads, hospitals, day cares, and more!
- U.S. Census data affects congressional representation in the US House of Representatives.
- It takes less than five minutes to complete.
- You can complete the form online, by phone, or by mail.
- There are currently over 700 open Census jobs in the LOU community!